Recent Posts

What Should I Do Next?

8/11/2019 (Permalink)

It's never expected but when it happens be sure to call SERVPRO.

In case of a water emergency you should first always call a plumber to come stop the leak, then your insurance agent, then SERVPRO of Moorpark/Fillmore/Santa Paula. We work hand-in-hand with any outside parties as well as your insurance company to ensure that you have the smoothest process possible. From there let us do the rest, our office staff and field crew are trained professionals and will help you and walk you through the process of everything being done. Water damage can be complicated but it doesn’t have to be when you call in a reputable company such as SERVPRO. You've done your part once you have contacted your insurance agent and SERVPRO the rest is up to us and we will make it "Like it never even happened."

Back to Water Loss Basics

8/5/2019 (Permalink)

Common water loss in a residential bathroom.

We assume everyone around us knows about water losses because that’s the bread and butter of our business. But we often forget that it’s not every day our clients suffer a water loss, thank goodness, so we want to get back to basics. If you unfortunately suffer from a water loss it’s good to know your resources, your two main priorities are calling your insurance company and getting a water restoration company out to you. The longer you wait the more damage you risk in your home, standstill water can lead to microbial growth and that’s another headache you don’t need on top of a water loss. And most importantly, even if you think you can handle it and dry out the water yourself, you should always and no matter what call SERVPRO. We would hate for you to not be able to complete the job and create a bigger problem for your home, and it’s what we are here to do. We want to handle your water loss!

Why Commercial Owners Should Test for Mold on Their Properties

7/16/2019 (Permalink)

Always be over cautious if you expect mold, it could cost you time and money.

Mold becomes a problem only when there is too much of it. In commercial buildings, mold overgrowth occurs in places that collect too much moisture such as air conditioning duct work, trash chutes and around water leaks from pipes, fixtures or into the building envelope. Sometimes overgrowth is obvious to the eye and nose: drawn by a moldy smell, you discover a patch of greenish mold in the bathroom under a dripping sink valve. Other mold problems flourish out of sight with faint or no odor clues: behind the wall, for example, fed by a failing roof. Always schedule professional cleaning if you suspect the following on your property(s):

  • There is no visual evidence of mold but the smell of mold is present.
  • There has been a history of leaks or standing water issues.
  • Tenants complain of allergy or health symptoms that could be caused by mold such as sneezing, coughing and headaches.
  • Tenants suspect mold issues or are unsure whether mold may be present.

You should call SERVPRO for any mold infestation that is more than a few feet in diameter; related to flooding or water damage; inside ventilation or heating systems or inside walls.

It's Just as Serious

7/9/2019 (Permalink)

The experts in fire damage: SERVPRO.

In the water and fire restoration field we more times than not get a water loss call but that doesn't mean we don't get fire losses.

When it comes to fire damage you want someone who is not only going to take care of the burned items but how to get the smoke smell out of the home as well. All of our technicians are IICRC trained and understand the proper tools and procedure of how to make sure you're not going to be smelling any little bit of smoke after you are back in your home. When you call SERVPRO of Moorpark/Fillmore/Santa Paula we know that we will do everything to get your fire damaged home back to preloss condition. Our office staff is standing by 24/7 so don't be afraid to call.

California Water Damage Laws

7/1/2019 (Permalink)

Tenants, it is your responsibility to report ANY and ALL water damages to your landlord.

Every winter Southern California always receives a crazy amount of rain that we never seem to be prepared for. If you’re a renter in California, you may have been displaced during these storms, or perhaps in another instance where water intrusion from rain, a broken pipe, or a faulty drain damaged your home. You may not know where to turn, but you have legal rights. According to California Civil Code section 1941, the landlord is responsible for providing tenants with habitable living conditions and repair any problem that makes the property uninhabitable, including water damage, with the exception of problems caused by the tenant, guests, children, or pets. It is, however, up to the tenant to report damages and repairs needed diligently. This information should be included in your rental agreements. If your landlord does not have a specific water damage company you should refer them to use SERVPRO as we partner with my landlords and understand from both sides of the party and want to help everyone.

Prevent Water Leaks in Your Commercial Building with these Tips

5/30/2019 (Permalink)

Simple routine maintenance could have prevented this water damage.

When water damage happens within a commercial building, it can jeopardize a business’s ability to run and function. Excess water can lead to extensive damage within a building, especially if it is not addressed immediately. Commercial buildings tend to use larger amounts of water than residential buildings do because of the amount of people who frequent the space. We have some easy tips to help prevent water leaks and water damage in your commercial space. 

Regular inspections, regular professional maintenance, outside cleaning, regular repairs and upgrades. 

By taking these steps, you can help prevent damage caused by water leaks in your commercial building. While these tips are effective for reducing the risk of leaks and water damage, there is still a chance that leaks can occur. If you do find that there’s water damage in your commercial building, then you need to act right away and call SERVPRO. 

Equipment Needed for Commercial Losses

5/28/2019 (Permalink)

Not your typical fan, these are air movers.

When water damage strikes commercial properties such as hospitals, hotels, medical facilities, schools, churches, tribal properties and more—business owners and property managers need to act quickly to prevent more damage and restore their property back to its normal condition. Businesses may have to be put on hold, adding to the stress of the emergency. Business owners and property managers need to get their daily operations back to normal as fast as possible, so the use of modern cleaning equipment and procedures are vital to the prompt restoration of their commercial property. If you know what kind of assistance you need before an emergency arises, you’ll know exactly what to communicate to a restoration company or technician when you have to call them.

Dehumidifiers, air movers, truck mounted vacuums, and negative air machines are the basics to commercial water damage. 

If disaster or flooding strikes your commercial property, it’s vital to act quickly, and contact a reputable water restoration company with modern equipment. Effective drying of water damaged areas helps prevent the growth of bacteria and allergens. The faster everything is dried, the better.

Always call SERVPRO of Moorpark/Santa Paula/Fillmore for any commercial restoration needs. 

Create a Disaster Plan for Your Restoration Business

5/14/2019 (Permalink)

Fires in Southern California.

Natural disasters may not be predictable but the resources that your restoration business company will need to handle them is not. Make sure your company is ready to help with restoration efforts when disaster strikes by having the best equipment, supplies, and informational resources for those affected. Specific to California flooding, wildfires, and earthquakes are the most common. You should be prepared with these items: dust masks, moisture meters, flashlights and extra batteries, first aid kit, cell phones and chargers, generators, water bottles, emergency pamphlets with information, etc. When disaster strikes the last thing you want is to be frantic and unorganized when it comes to the basics. Having a plan ahead of time will benefit not only you but the people that you will be able to reach and help. SERVPRO has a program called the Emergency Readiness Program where we come to your home or business and map out a plan for you in case of an emergency. If you are interested in having an ERP done please call us!

Can Wet Carpet and Drywall be Saved from a Water Loss?

5/14/2019 (Permalink)

Wet carpet from the outside water through the house creating damage.

By taking swift action as soon as possible soaked carpet and drywall can be saved in many cases. The amount of water isn’t the key factor in determining if irreparable carpet and drywall damage can be prevented.  It’s actually how contaminated the water is and how soon the materials can be completely dried. Anything that comes in contact with sewer water (category 3) must be replaced, the same goes for any type of flooding from a water source that’s been in contact with the ground. With nearly all wall-to-wall carpets and rugs today made of synthetic fibers the primary problem is microbial growth.  So wet carpet can often be saved if it’s thoroughly dried out before that gets going.  The bad news is that you may have as little as 24-48 hours. Wet drywall soon swells, sags, and bows… and supports growing bacteria and especially mold.  So like carpet it needs to be dried as quickly as possible if it’s to be salvaged.  Unfortunately, water damaged drywall often needs to be replaced. Specialized water technicians from SERVPRO are trained to know the level of severity your water loss is and if we can hopefully save anything. Always act quickly with a water loss!

What Category of Water Damage do You Have?

5/11/2019 (Permalink)

Even though it looks minor, let the professionals handle it.

If you are dealing with or have ever dealt with a water damage you may hear technical language about your property that you are not used to. Instead of not understanding what is going on here are some quick definitions of different types of water damages:

  • Category 1 Water Loss: In this case, the water damage is usually as a result of overflow from the bathtub or sink and leakage from malfunctioning appliances. The water is usually colorless without any odor and as such, does not pose any health threat to your family since it contains no pathogenic agents.
  • Category 2 Water Loss: This type of water damage is usually associated with toilet overflows. It could be grey in color and have an odor. When this type of water spreads within your environment, the occupants of the home are exposed to risks of bacterial infection as the water contains harmful microorganisms. It is important to rid the home of such water before further damage is caused.
  • Category 3 Water Loss: This is the type of water damage that gives serious concern to homeowners. The water is usually colored black with very bad odor. It contains lots of harmful parasites and bacteria that could easily invade other parts of the house if not treated with the urgency it requires. When this happens, not only is your property at risk, your health and that of your loved ones are also at risk.

Even if you think you can handle any of these water losses you should always call SERVPRO of Moorpark/Fillmore/Santa Paula to come out and deal with it for you.